Thursday, June 3, 2010

Navajo (Fry bread) Tacos

This was so yummy. I have been meaning to find a quailty recipe to do navajo tacos and I just haven't been brave enough. The Howcrofts', our old neighbors used to make these all the times with scones and I loved them. The nice thing is for my picky eating daughter, I serve hers with honey, and a bowl of chili on the side.

Ingredients:

2 cups wheat or white flour (I did a batch of each, and everyone ate the white ones. little bit of waste)

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

½-¾ cup water

Oil for frying

Browned ground beef or 1 can chili con carne

Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.

Mix dry ingredients. Slowly mix in water until a nice dough forms. (It’s easier to do this with your hands.) Pull off pieces that are slightly larger than a golf ball and stretch into 5-to 6-inch circles. Fry bread in hot oil, turning to cook both sides. Place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil. Top with desired toppings and enjoy.

I bet you could make these with chili leftovers, so you aren't just eating the same thing two days in a row. But it was totally worth it, as the main reason. Delish!! Thanks, Tiffany!!

No comments:

Post a Comment