Thursday, February 4, 2010

Green, green, green onions!

I always have this problem with green onions. I buy a huge bundle and only use about three or four stalks, and then they go to waste in my fridge. I have also planned meals for a week and knowing that I am going to need green onions for one recipe, I plan the rest of the meals to fit around green onions!! I know it's crazy but I hate to waste them!! But never fail, my sister-in-law saved me one day with her tip.

When you cut up the green onions for a recipe, cut them all up. Place unused green onions in ziploc bags and throw them in the freezer. Next time you need them just pull them out of the freezer, measure how much you need and add them. You don't even need to defrost. Sweet, right? This is also nice when the green onions are super cheap. Stock up, slice them up and then put them away when you need them.

Second tip with green onions: If you cut off the green onions where the white starts, place unused bottoms in a cup. Add some water, give it a few days and they will regrow! Perfect for toppings or a little garnish! Plus, if you grow enough of them, you can cut them up and add to the freezer batches!!

2 comments:

  1. Another green onion tip-slice the green part into thin strips and drop them in ice water, they curl into spirals and make a nice garnish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That's awesome!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete