Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Smashed Caulifower


I know this sounds totally weird, but it was super yummy!! This is another Rachael Ray recipe. I know I was knocking the complication of her recipes but this one actually works really well.

I changed her recipe to fit my needs, but I am giving you both recipes so you can see your options and decide what works best for you.

Rachael's recipe:
  • 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup shredded white extra-sharp Vermont Cheddar (recommended: Cabot brand)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano
  • Coarse black pepper and salt
  • A generous grating nutmeg
Laura's recipe:

1 large head cauliflower, cut into floret
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (add more cheese depending on desired taste)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
black pepper and salt
2-3 tablespoons chives (mainly for the color)

Place cauliflower in a medium shallow pot or pan. Add stock, cover and place pot over high heat. When liquid boils, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 10 minutes. Remove cover, raise heat to medium high and allow the broth to reduce by half, 2 minutes. Drain excess liquid. ( I drained it into a glass measuring cup, in case I needed more liquid. Add 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces and the cheeses and smash the cauliflower with a masher to the same consistency as desired for mashed potatoes. Add more broth if the consistency is too sticky! Season the cauliflower with pepper, salt, chives or your choice of seasonings!


I used the cheese I had in the fridge, but you might want to use a sharper cheese for more of a flavor. I almost had to use double to get the right taste. Also, I wish I had used a hand mixer to mash the cauliflower because it didn't quite mash very well with a hand-held masher. This also did not pass my husband's approval because he didn't like the consisitency. However, My dad and Sadee ate two helpings and my mom loved it!

I loved it as well and it was fun to eat cauliflower in a different way. Who knows you might be able to fool your picky eaters! It didn't work for mine, but it was worth it for everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment