Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spanish Rice

We made Cafe Rio Pork last night, and I forgot to buy a packet of spanish rice to whip up with it. Never fear the internet always saves the day. I got this recipe off Recipezaar.com. I have never used their website before but it was the simplest recipe and I had all, or at least, most of the ingredients.

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked rice
1 medium onion, chopped (I used half of a large onion when i doubled it! We aren't a huge fan of onions!)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 1/2 cups water
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (We didn't have these on hand, so I left it out!)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add rice and onion and cook (about 5-10 minutes) stirring occasionally, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender. (I used half brown rice, half white rice, so it took a little longer to cook.)


This was a huge hit and everyone loved it. I doubled this to feed about ten people and there was plenty left over. The recipe said that it served six, but I am not sure I believe them. Big hit and it was super easy and yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment