Friday, April 2, 2010

Tuna Puff Pastry


I know this totally sounds weird, but it so easy and yummy!! My mom used to make this when I was growing up and I loved it. I remember asking my mom for this grand recipe, and it was a lot easier than I thought.

Ingredients:
Medium White Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup of milk

1 can of Tuna, drained
Frozen Peas
Puff Pastry Shells

Cook puff pastry shells, according to directions on box. If you can't find them, you can use puff pastry sheets, and cut them into nine little squares, or you can pour the mixture right on top of toast! Here's a picture of the shells. They are usually in the frozen dessert section.

To make a medium white sauce, melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Return to heat, and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Once it boils, stir for another minute or so, until it starts to thicken. Add tuna and a cup or two of peas depending on your preference, and stir until hot.

Peel off top layer of shells, and pull out the center, if there is one. Then pour mixture inside and replace the top layer. If you use the sheets, just pull them apart, using a fork if needed, and pour over bottom layer and replace top. Or go the easiest route and pour it right on toast.


I doubled the white sauce recipe, with only one can of tuna, for four adults and two kids, and had enough for leftovers for two of us for lunch, to give you an idea of the portion size. My kids ate it and the hubby gobbled it up. This is a great recipe to make in a jiffy and your whole dinner is in one pot. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. A favorite childhood meal for me! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete